Workers have to meet certain state requirements to receive an Unemployment benefit. They must show a significant work history and that they plan to continue to work once they find employment. To qualify, they must have worked a certain number of weeks during the benefit year. In addition, they must have earned a certain amount in order to qualify as well.
Workers who show they have lost their job through no fault of their own will most likely receive Unemployment Benefits. You have to be able to do your old job or a similar one and register for new work. You must also be a US citizen or legally able to work in the US. Each state has a different guideline for what ‘no fault’ means. In general, you should receive Unemployment Benefits if:
- You lose your job due to downsizing of the company.
- You quit for good cause (as determined by your state). You will have to prove that based on the situation at that employer, any reasonable person would have quit.
- You quit for personal reasons (as determined by your state). If you quit your job to care for a family member who was ill that fell outside of the Family Medical Leave Act, you may be eligible.
- You are a military spouse. Military spouses who leave jobs because of the transfer of a spouse may be eligible for Unemployment benefits if they worked as long as they could before the transfer.
- You quit because of violence. Victims of domestic violence or stalking who quit the job to protect yourself or your family may be eligible for Unemployment benefits.
- You are Corporate Officer. Corporate officers are eligible for Unemployment benefits if their corporation they worked for is no longer doing business unless the corporation did not elect to have Unemployment benefit coverage.
- You are a High level manager or executive who has worked at least 680 hours during the past year and lost employment through no fault of your own may be eligible.
- Beginning in 2009, Corporate Officers may receive Unemployment benefits if the corporation they work for doesn’t exempt them from coverage.